Can Mommies Make Art?

That is the question.  But before one tackles it, one must first decide what it takes to make art in the first place.  Let's look at various factors:  talent, knowledge, space & time, sensitivity, courage, inspiration and lastly, unflagging curiosity.  There's more, but these are right there on top, don't you agree?

  • Talent.  You can definitely be a Mommy and have artistic talent.  No doubt about it.  Squeezing a living being through a tiny hole between your legs may temporarily suspend this talent, but there is no scientific reason that this should degrade inherent talent. Point: Mommy
  • Knowledge.  Depending on how old you were when you had your first child, you can count all those years beforehand as knowledge building toward your art.  If you were old (like me) before you squirted out your first, this is a good thing.  Definitely in my favor.  However, the nature of the knowledge obtained afterward, though eyebrow-raisingly prodigious, is highly questionable as to its relevance to art.
  • Space & Time.  Right there.  Right there you are screwed.   There is no space.  None.  Well, unless you are only talking square footage.  But the space and time necessary to making art has nothing to do with square footage.  It is, instead, that wonder-filled, smooth and lovely mind space that I'm talking about.  You know, the kind of space that you used to have when you lived in an apartment- laying down on your crummy old sofa with your legs up on the arm, bemused by the way your sock makes little webby shapes when you wiggle your toes.  A little music, a cup of coffee (even better, a cold brew right out of the bottle). Aaaaaah.  That kind of space and time.  Nope.  Ding against artist Mommy.
  • Sensitivity.  Let's imagine that we have an ephemerally thin, lightly shimmering gossamer that will shiver with the breath of butterflies.  Stretch it taut; this is your instrument.   It will show you the way.  This, this is what we call, 'sensitivity'.  Now, imagine a ghastly, fiery, ugly-ass comet slamming down on it.  That is what's called,  'overstimulation'.  I'm not sure where my 'sensitivity' gauge is anymore.  But when I find myself trying to take a nap and suddenly turning my head towards the locked door screaming, "Shuuuuuuut  UuuuuuuP!", I worry my sensitivity has been injured.
  • Courage.  Easy.  Anyone who willingly faces the prospect of moving an object the size of a large cat through an internal passageway that is normally 1.5" wide is brave. Punkt! Finis! Final.
  • Inspiration.  A no brainer again.  A woman passes through a rite of passage when she first see's her babies face.  When she smells her own scent covering this new little person.  When the little person stops wailing the moment it is put upon her outstretched arms.  When she says, "oh, hi...it's you... i wondered what you looked like.  i'm your mama."  The woman deepens in a way never possible without this rite.  Inspiration flows.
  • Curiosity.  I can honestly say that I am even more curious than I was before I had babies.  For example, I am exceptionally curious about whether or not spots will take over my face entirely or just continue in the big blotches as they are now.  I am curious to know what I have done wrong in the training of my children.  Especially concerning the concept of 'cleaning'.  I am curious as to why I have gone through three sizes of jeans in the past year and a half.  All that and more.  The only problem is how to get that into my art.
As I read the above, the results are highly inconclusive.  There doesn't seem to be a clear pattern.  Nothing to hang your hat on, so to speak.  I think we need to just leave it where it lies and pray, hope, dream that art will still come.

Comments

My photo
Lim Studio
Perhaps it's because I'm an Army 'brat' that I have such an unusual resume. I have lived in over 20 locations around the world. When that is your beginning, it becomes hard to stick with just one thing. I find that I love everything. Everything interests me. I wish I had at least one hundred lifetimes to do them all!